This is the historic tree under which Reverend John Jay Shipherd and Philo Penfield Stewart knelt to ask for guidance in determining the location of their dream of a Christian colony and school in Lorain County, Ohio.
It became the victim of Dutch Elm disease and after many attempts to save it, it was felled in 1965.
This is a copy of the Oberlin Collegiate Institute’s first Commencement Exercises which took place on September 6, 1837. The school’s name was changed in 1850 to Oberlin College.
John Mercer Langston (1829-1897)
John Mercer Langston (December 14, 1829 – November 15, 1897) is known as the first African-American lawyer in Ohio and the first black person to be elected to public office in the United States. He became the first dean of the law school at Howard University and helped create the department. He was the first president of what is now Virginia State University, a historically black college. See NOTABLE OBERLINIANS
Philo Penfield Stewart (1798-1868)
P.P. Stewart with J.J. Shipherd founded the Colony of Oberlin Ohio and Oberlin Collegiate Institute. See NOTABLE OBERLINIANS
This building had many uses before it was given in 1933 to Oberlin College. A year later, the college donated it to the Oberlin schools and it was used until about 1950 as a grammar school and space for The Oberlin Kindergarten Training School. Eventually the training school became a part of Oberlin College. The building was torn down in 1965.
Note: the original building had a second floor which was determined to be unsafe and was removed circa 1919.